The State Capitol building was completed in 1852 and was the third statehouse in California from 1853 to 1854, at which time the Capitol was moved to its final destination in Sacramento. The interior pillars are made of old ships’ masts and the window caps were made from the local sandstone. This picture shows the building during the Civil War when it was acting as City Hall. At this time the Solano No. 1 Firehouse was attached which also served as a Police Station. The building also served as a public school, a library and a museum.